Firstly I just want to say a huge thank you to you for the comments, emails and FB messages you have sent me since my last post – they have meant so much, and been a huge encouragement.
Yesterday was a much better day for the most part. Today Bliss is at Kinder/Childcare so I expect that we may have some hiccups in the getting home-fed-bathed-to bed side of things tonight but that’s pretty normal for Wednesday nights in my house!
After Monday’s confessional I want to talk about smacking.
Obviously I revealed the other day that I smacked Bliss and so I thought I’d share with you my very contradictory approach to this highly emotive topic before handing over to you.
- Generally I don’t smack
- Sometimes (very very occasionally) I do smack
- I have pulled Bliss’ pants down and smacked her on *only* a handful of times most of which have revolved around her ignoring me and thus putting herself in huge danger. Most, but not all *cue Monday*.
- When Bliss was younger, before she understood concepts of reason and danger I would smack her hand very gently as a teaching tool (I know some of you just died inside). Once she was able to understand, I stopped smacking.
- I always thought, and largely have acheived, not smacking in anger so as not to confuse my reaction with the “crime” involved. Largely, but not always *cue Monday*
- I don’t think smacking is effective
- I still do it sometimes
- I have not smacked Bear but he’s only 7.5months so….time will tell.
Over to you. Is your approach as contradictory as mine, is this something you struggle with or do you have strong views and clear boundaries? How do you deal with people who have an equally strong but opposite approach?
Incoming search terms:
- Pants down Smack Bottom
- Pants down Smacked Bottom
- pants pulled down and smacked bottom little boy
- smacked bottom
- bottom smack